Sunday, 26 April 2009


Golf, cricket, rugby, league and the magnificent Motatapu. Take your pick. We are truly blessed for sporting options this weekend.

Pride of viewing-place for me is the New Zealand Golf Open at The Hills. I’ll live to regret this but I’ve turned down a weekend of corporate golfing hospitality in deference to my waistline and some training ahead of next month’s Boston marathon.

I guess I could be like my Boston stablemate, Heddon Bush playboy Ken Dykes, and tackle the Motatapu but I figure running 42.2 kilometres on a flat road is tough enough, let alone over a bloody great hill.

To all the runners and mountain-bikers taking part, you have my utmost admiration. Wrap up warmly – especially you Ken with your exposed pate - there’s snow in them there hills!

As for the golf, despite a brave first round effort, it might be too much to ask of Sir Bob Charles to make the cut and repeat his heroics of 2007, so those of you there today might witness one of the all-time sporting greats bid farewell. I hope I’m wrong.

Then there’s the final one-dayer against the Indian batting machine at Eden Park with its invitingly short boundaries. I don’t usually derive enjoyment from seeing my country beaten but to witness Tendulkar, Sehwag and Dhoni in full flight, I’ll make an exception. And across town at Mt Smart the Warriors celebrate super skipper Steve Price’s 300th game in the season opener against Parramatta.

With all the action in Central Otago and great sport on the box, I hope someone’s left in Invercargill tomorrow night to support the Highlanders. And they might need that support against a resurgent and talent-chocked Chiefs.

The Highlanders will have taken great heart from a gutsy, if heinously ugly, win over the crocked Crusaders. Glen Moore has wisely included as many Stags as he can in the starting fifteen and the sight of the Highlanders in their maroon strip is another great PR exercise in garnering hometown support.

A final thought. Isn’t there something seriously awry when we’re contemplating Super 15 (we don’t need another boring team) rugby in January yet we’re trying to play a cricket test in Wellington in the first week of April? Go figure!


Quote of the week: If you want to hit a seven iron as far as Tiger Woods, simply try to lay up just short of a water hazard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home